Vegetarian Ciabatta Stuffing with Mushrooms and Chestnuts
This flavorful, filling stuffing makes a decadent vegetarian holiday side.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 16 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 325°F. Place cubed bread on ungreased cookie sheet; bake 10 to 15 minutes or until dry and crispy. Cool completely on cookie sheet.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Cook shallots, celery, salt and pepper in butter 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Increase heat to medium-high; add mushrooms, and cook 6 to 8 minutes longer or until mushrooms release juices and begin to brown. Stir in chestnuts and stock; heat to simmering. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, using spoon to release browned bits from bottom. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In large bowl, mix eggs, herbs and nutmeg. Stir in bread. Pour mushroom mixture over ingredients in bowl. Stir to combine. Pour into baking dish. Cover with foil; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 12 to 15 minutes longer or until hot in center and top is browned and crispy. Top with cheese. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
- 8 cups 1/2-inch cubes ciabatta bread (from 1-lb loaf)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup diced shallots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 package (5.2 oz) peeled and roasted chestnuts, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cups Progresso™ vegetable stock (from 32-oz carton)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (4 oz)