Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup
Roasting the vegetables and simmering with Progresso™ vegetable stock is all you need to do to give this simple soup a deeply complex flavor.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 6 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- In large bowl, mix carrots, parsnips, celery, squash, 3 tablespoons of the oil, the thyme, salt and black pepper; toss to coat evenly, and divide between 2 ungreased large rimmed baking pans. Spread in single layer; roast in oven 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring halfway through.
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned and softened. Add stock and roasted vegetables; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Gradually stir in cheese. Stir in parsley and vinegar. Taste, and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Ladle into serving bowls, and garnish with additional cheese.
- 3 medium carrots, cut in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium parsnips, cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash (1-inch)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium onions, cut in half, then into 1-inch slices
- 2 cartons (32 oz each) Progresso™ vegetable stock (8 cups)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired