Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This soup is for real -- creamy, earthy, chickeny and filling. Get your simmer on!
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 8 Recipe Yield
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat stock, wild rice and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt to boiling over high heat. Stir; cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook about 45 minutes, without lifting cover, until rice is tender but still firm.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to brown. Add mushrooms; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms brown and soften. Add thyme and flour. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until flour begins to brown and smells nutty. Add water; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finely diced onion
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped deli rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream