Baked Potato Soup with Crispy Potato Skins
Progresso™ chicken stock, cheese and cream turn this potato soup into a hearty meal. Topped with crispy potato skins, bacon, cheese and sour cream, you’ll experience a loaded, steak-house baked potato in every spoonful.
- Minutes Prep Time
- Minutes Total
- 6 Recipe Yield
- Heat oven to 400°F. Scrub potatoes clean; prick each a few times with fork. Bake directly on rack in center of oven 60 to 70 minutes or until tender. Cool 10 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°F. Cut each potato in half; scrape potatoes out of skins into bowl, leaving 1/4-inch shell. Mash potatoes with fork or potato masher. Set aside. Brush shells, inside and out, with melted butter; sprinkle with salt. Cut each shell in half lengthwise, and then into 1/2-inch strips crosswise. Place on cookie sheet; bake about 20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon; set aside. Decrease heat to medium. Add onion. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add 3 tablespoons of the flour, the thyme leaves and pepper; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Beat in chicken stock and mashed potatoes with whisk; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 30 minutes. Stir in cream; heat to simmering. In medium bowl, toss 1 1/2 cups of the cheese with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Add cheese mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until cheese is melted and soup is smooth after each addition.
- To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls. Garnish with remaining cheese, sour cream, green onions, bacon and crispy potato skins.
- 2 1/2 lb russet potatoes (about 5 medium)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ chicken stock (4 cups)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded medium Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions